MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Site performance and data purging

Site performance and data purging - Forums [Biker Match] Site performance and data purging - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Site performance and data purging

Im looking to upgrade the servers that the site runs on (In the US). The upgrade will result in a massive improvement in performance and stability of BM. However, it will mean several planned server outages. Also, as im on an SQL 2005 course at the moment, I'm realising the importance of weeding out old data. The bigger the database is, the more records there are, the slower the site is to perform. For this reason, I have decided that the following data will be 'weeded out' on the specified dates... Forum messages, displaying only 12 months data Private messages, deleted after 3 months (When was the last time you went through more than 5 pages of your PMs?). PMs will have a 'Save' features which stops them being purged. Chatroom chat, logs now held in the database at great expense. Will be just 2 weeks records from now on though Matchmaker alerts - deleted if you havent been to the site in 3 months Site log files, holding visitor information, deleted after 1 month. Dont ask me to investigte issues that were over 1 month ago Plus whatever else I think of later. Let me know if this causes concern, its not yet set in stone. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/07/2007 08:58  

its a good idea matt get rid of the old make room for the new

Update Reply
storm @ 05/07/2007 09:35  

im putting into practice some of the things ive learnt over the past few days on the database course. Therefore please accept my apologies in advance as the site speed will be going up and down a lot whilst indexes are rebuilt etc ta

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/07/2007 14:33  

Got a problem. If I purge the forums... then everyone's post-count will get cocked up. Eeek!

Update Reply
Matt @ 06/07/2007 21:01  

Does it matter? It doesn't matter to me if my post count goes down, it will look like I don't gas as much as I do ROFL ...besides...I like a good purge lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/07/2007 21:39  

Ooooo, I can see where I live now! Or did it do that before?

Update Reply
Di @ 07/07/2007 04:06  

no must be a thingy matt has done di lol

Update Reply
RC @ 07/07/2007 07:28  

I asked Matt if he could add the member's area to the avatars, it makes it easier when folk say 'it's raining HERE' (like er...where is 'here'? lol) also helps when folk are arranging meetings, they can see at a glance who lives in their area/surrounding areas.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/07/2007 09:22  

I'd rather not be reminded actually!

Update Reply
Di @ 07/07/2007 09:57  

Yea it was one of Kwak's better ideas, lol. Thinking of something I can do about the forum posts thing, will make the site quicker too if i do it.

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/07/2007 10:20  

That's about as clear as mud Matt lol 'forum posts thing'??

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/07/2007 11:36  

Quote Matt: Got a problem. If I purge the forums... then everyone's post-count will get cocked up. Eeek! Your memory is worse than mine ffs!

Update Reply
Di @ 07/07/2007 11:52  

Nothing wrong with my memory, Deb

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/07/2007 12:09  

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/07/2007 12:12  

SORRY EVERYONE - I JUST TOOK THE SITE OUT BY ACCIDENT! LOL Was whilst addressing the forum post count issue. :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/07/2007 16:13  

At least it wasn't me breaking it this time

Update Reply
Di @ 07/07/2007 16:37  

or me! Di lol Matt, I didn't know you had, til ya told us lol (I wasn't on line)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/07/2007 18:55  

yea it was down for about 5 minutes (ooops). Just trying to "accessorise" the site a little (Sorry had to get that word in, challenge by a smelly friend sat next to me).

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/07/2007 20:15  

Is he still eating marmite on toast?

Update Reply
Di @ 08/07/2007 05:28  

yukkkkkkkk marmite

Update Reply
RC @ 08/07/2007 06:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email