MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Gear, Gadgets and Gizmos

Gear, Gadgets and Gizmos (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Gear, Gadgets and Gizmos (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Gear, Gadgets and Gizmos

heap o crap i agree mate but priceless memorys an we were young with the it wont happen to us attitude!not knockin your gizmo's,went an got a sat nav! its got me lost twice an was useful twice,got some heated grips very useful, but be prepared for derogatory remarks an hijackin of thread as its std on here! a sense of humour helps [not sayin yu aint got one!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 25/06/2009 12:41  

Re Active Speed Limit: That's exactly what it does - Shows the speed for the road you're on - and by her words, changes the indication on the unit exactly as she passes the sign.

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 25/06/2009 12:41  

TM and be prepared to have me try to bring the thread back on topic and to point out BS when it appears (not saying your post was BS!). There are enough external influences taking a pop at riders without anyone needing to further divide us.

Bandit, wonder if they've just taken the road designations and applied blanket values, so a 30mph road where it's been dropped to 20mph might be a problem for example, or, if they do have each road and speed limit recorded?

The lane feature would have been very useful when hitting some of the larger US cities, I must admit a few last minute changes were needed.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 12:56  

Hmmm... don't know about every road limit stored, but as it changes from 40 to 30 exactly at the 30 sign, and back again, I would suggest they knew where the signs were! Obviously, it's only as good as the latest map update you've got, but it's a nifty thing if you *accidently* missed the speed limit sign and need a quick reminder

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 25/06/2009 13:00  

I'll stick with the 550 for now and wait until it's an upgrade option. Of course a huge lottery win would change that.

Anyone using comms systems, rider 2 pillion, or bike to bike?

Not found one I was totally happy with.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 13:19  

Geoff, the cue tip shaper adapted camera mount...any pics?
Does it work?

I've got a few bits of kit lashed on with parts of the tool shed.

Cable ties rule!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 14:22  

Waterproof, that's always been a bit of kit that has let me down...anyone got any keep dry gear that actually works?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 15:58  

"Does it work?" Cheeky barsteward lol! You obviously haven't looked at any of my vids Lamble lol!! Of course it works, I'm a professional engineer lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2009 16:35  

What videos Geoff and where?

I need to talk to you about a helmet cam mount then don't I?
Do you work in plastics?

I also need to sort out...it'll have to wait 'til we meet, there are a few housings and control panels I'm looking to buy, or create, or have built.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 16:43  

No, I'm a highway engineer lol. So I suppose in a way I do considering the advances in modern polymer strengthened surfacing materials and cold lay adhesive markings; I'll shut up. No, "I'm a professional engineer" is just a little joke of mine mate. As far as videos are concerned; password bikermatch http://www.vimeo.com/5089585

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2009 16:53  

What I need is a helmet cam holder that can be stuck on using industrial velcro, but will hold the bullet camera in position. It's radio controlled, so that's not an issue. Maybe yoghurt pot and Blue Peter time.

Watched the videos...I've learned that there are two types of bike video. A film a ride type, just shoot whatever happens and a ride to film type, where you set up a few shots, which can be more irksome to other riders, but if you know in advance what you are setting out to do, then it's not so bad.

Getting the balance right is hard. I've moved to taking far more off bike footage and using the road shots and a transition, unless it's spectacular or unusual.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 17:08  

Hi Lamble, Ian just let me know about your Q's for the Zumo 660. Yes the speed limit does change every time, no matter what sign I have gone past as soon as I have had the rear end past the sign the bit on my sat nav changes to the new speed limit no matter if its 20, 30, 40 ,whatever. The lane assist on it on the motorway too is good, when showing you the lane you should be in it also shows you the signs across the motorway, with the one your to follow lit up & showing all that is written on the sign .. ie place name , motorway etc etc . On your final Q ... Ian & I use Scalla Q2 headsets both of which are hooked to our own sat navs (Ian has a Zumo 550) and each to our own phones & then to each other, all via Bluetooth. We find they are great whether pillion to rider, or bike to bike as we have now been using them with me having my own bike, we did find them very useful when looking for a parking spot in France & I pottered over to the other side of the car park from Ian, kept a space & let him know via headsets that I had found one.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 20:21  

I've got a Scala set up, but can't say I'm that happy with it.

Had a hard wired Autocom system on the BMW before which was better but had wires everywhere.

I think I've seen a bluetooth booster advertised, but not seen any reviews.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2009 21:06  

I understand the issues you mention re wires etc .... the Q2's that we have, have a 500 metre range (early Scala's only had 10 metre range) & so far we have found them great, even on the trip up to the Farmyard when I pulled out from a junction & Ian did not make it out we were still linked via headsets. (this was very comforting as it was my 1st long run on own bike)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 21:30  

I have heard that the Q2s are pretty good. But for me it has to be a proper hard wired system, whether that's Starcom or Autocom (which is what I have). Proper stereo music and the ability to still hear the sat nav/music (reduces the volume only rather than mutes out) when your pillion or rider on another bike talks. I have a stereo wire from the Zumo to the Autocom for music/directions and bluetooth from my phone to the Autocom. That way I don't have to have the Zumo on the bike to answer calls and it connects straight away as soon as I turn the ignition on. Ok, it means that to make a call I have to pull over and take my phone out, but the outside pockets of my jacket are waterproof (and they have been really tested in the past lol) so this isn't a real hassle. And let's face it, making a call in the car whilst travelling is dangerous enough, doing it on a bike is plain daft, so I'd pull over anyway. Also the noise cancelling abilities of the Autocom are very good indeed. I've had a number of people ring me and think I'm in the car, when they learn I'm on the bike they're always surprised. One conversation with a client was conducted at a ton on the motorway! When I told him I was on the bike and so needed to keep the chat brief, he was staggered. I'd go back to the Autocom if I was you Lamble.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 25/06/2009 21:47  

The Scala that I have has an additional MP3 wire for it, which allows me to plug my I-Pod in & have it connected to the 2 speakers in my headset, this does not mute but lowers the volume on the music if the sat nav cuts in, again the older Scala headsets do not have the MP3 player adapter with them & you can only listen from a card in your sat nav.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/06/2009 22:03  

As with all things, sounds like the technology is getting better all the time. Built in satnav will be next.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 25/06/2009 22:15  

Roachy, what do you mean "next". In the US they already stick sat nav in big HDs. I'm fairly sure it's part of bigger RTs in the BMW range too and if Goldwings don't have Sat Nav, teasmade, ipod player and a toaster I'd be amazed.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2009 09:18  

LMAO Teasmade ... can I place an order for filter coffee maker pls Mind you the amount of coffee that I drink I would run any battery flat in a few hours ... before Ian says it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/06/2009 17:08  

Geoff, here's a movie I made.

SV Shell, I'm sure that along with the HD cup holders, Oh yes they do, there'll be some form of coffee making device.

I told a guy I was cooking a chicken in my tank bag the other day, and that I was worried that because we'd stopped at the Ponderosa, it might not be cooked through by the time I got home...Yep, hook line and sinker.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raHDkqbYDp8

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2009 19:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email