MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

gear changing issues & getting leg over seat

gear changing issues & getting leg over seat - Forums [Biker Match] gear changing issues & getting leg over seat - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

gear changing issues & getting leg over seat

Hi all, I am finally getting into biking, and have just got my CBT and first bike. KTM Duke 125.

Couple of questions though so far, and would appreciate some advce.

I really struggle to change gears as I cannot get my boot under the gear lever. I also had the issue when doing my CBT, where I rode two other bikes.
Not sure if it's me, or my boots. They are bulky and rigid as is above ankle.
Looking online, not many people seem to have the issue. note: I have no issues with understanding the gears, it's just those down shifts and neutral.

And secondly, I struggle to get my leg over the seat to get on and off. I simply struggle to get it high enough. I am trying to avoid using the peg. I am not short, at 5"10. So why do I struggle when shorter people seem to find it easy.

Thanks In Advance. Really need some guidance here. As want to get good enough to get my das test done.

Update Reply
UkWizard @ 18/06/2024 15:25  

Hi UkWizard Riding jeans or trousers too tight, try raising the gear leaver 1 spline it will give you more room to get your toe under the leaver. hope that helps

Update Reply
JP @ 18/06/2024 16:02  

1st gears, Try different footwear, ever if it's just sitting on the bike wearing trainers. If all is ok, get new books or wear the boots around the house. going up and down stairs to break them in.

2nd getting your leg over. It's not about how tall you are, it's about your inner leg length.
To make the seat height a little lower, turn the bars to the right, this will make the bike lean a little more to the left.
With myself being short in the leg, If I have something on the back seat. I tend to cock my right leg up at a 90 degree angle and hop towards the bike until my arse is on the seat. Not very dignified, but it works.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 18/06/2024 16:18  

Getting on, Ragnar is correct, but also lean forwards, and as low as you can with your upper body, as you throw your leg up.
You can of course use the off-road style too, and mount using your footrest. YouTube is worth a search.

Update Reply
Ibb0 @ 18/06/2024 20:13  

Lol Ragnar! I'm the same and have to do a double hop goosestep thing to mount my bike when it's loaded for touring. 🤣

Update Reply
Pasta1 @ 19/06/2024 00:20  

From what I read the KTM has an 800mm seat height which is pretty low (mine is 835 and I'm old and fat with a wonky knee but 6ft ) so go with the bent knee technique. With regards to the gear selector I've read that the peg lowering kits can create more space under the gear selector so that might be worth investigating 🤔

However, when I crushed my ankle a couple of years ago I was convinced that my gear selector was damaged as I couldn't change up through the gears... It turned out to be that my ankle wasn't flexing

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 19/06/2024 17:15  

I too suffer from a getting my leg over problem, unfortunately it isn't bike related so I suppose I shouldn't raise it here! hehehe

Update Reply
Double six @ 22/06/2024 00:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email