MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

No to Bike Charges Demo Thurs 4th Feb

No to Bike Charges Demo Thurs 4th Feb - Forums [Biker Match] No to Bike Charges Demo Thurs 4th Feb - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

No to Bike Charges Demo Thurs 4th Feb

ANTI BIKE parking charge protesters will gather this coming Thursday 4th February, to demonstrate against Wesminster Council's recent introduction of a bike parking charge in the City.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> The decision to make the controversial charge permanent went ahead at the end of January 2010, following a six-month trial in the City. Motorcyclists will now continue to be stung for £1 per day to park their machines in designated bays that used to be free-of-charge.<o:p></o:p> Register on the 'No To ...e' website to receive an SMS update of where tomorrow's demonstration ride will take place.<o:p></o:p> <o:p> </o:p>

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 02/02/2010 11:22  

Unfortunately, those who use those spaces, will presumably be at work, when the demo takes place.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 02/02/2010 12:02  

Thats th eonly thing i find weird about the whole thing, every time there has been a demonstration it has been on a week day when most people it affects are at work and can not attend !!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 02/02/2010 12:05  

Logically, it has to be a weekday - if they do it on a Saturday/Sunday - none of the council office bods will be around to see it, nor the London Assembly peeps or anyone else.

And they do arrange it for lunchtime, so if you're already working in town, you can take a lunchbreak and join in. If you don't make it back to work in the afternoon, it's probably because you got caught up in the protest and couldn't get back to the office, sorry boss

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/02/2010 13:29  

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">TRAFALGAR SQUARE</st1:address></st1:Street> and surrounding streets were brought to a standstill yesterday after hundreds of staged an organised protest against Westminster Council's controversial Bike Parking Charge. Despite receiving the largest number of objections to the tax in its history, Westminster Council have persisted with the charge, despite the decision going against Conservative Party policy.The demonstration was organised through the anti-tax campaigner's website, online forums and text messages, with riders being informed of the meeting point only minutes before the demo.Protesters have vowed to fight against the tax for as long as politicians continue to ignore them

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 10:49  

If I was parking my bike for a full day in a proper bay for bikes then i would gladly pay the £1 charge..... everyone to thier own.......craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2010 12:40  

Assuming there's a bay vacant when/where you want it.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 08/02/2010 12:50  

a quid for secure parking in a city centre! That's nothing and well worth the money, especially if there's CCTV covering the space. I vote to pay up and stop complaining about a quid for a full day! It would probably be 20 quid for a car!

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/02/2010 13:28  

IMO £1 for secure parking is not much to ask considering cars are triple that at least

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/02/2010 14:31  

Like Rob, I suspect that in the centre of London it will a miracle if you can find a space to park so paying, whatever the amount, won't be the issue.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/02/2010 16:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email